Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why I Don't Like Sleepovers

there are a ton of reasons I don't like sleepovers....

- The kids stay up too late which causes extreme Oscarness in the morning.
- They are noisy which makes Nate an Oscar.
- They never clean up their stuff afterwards which makes more for me to clean up which causes extreme Oscarness on my side.

but on Friday night I was reminded of the #1 reason why I don't like sleepovers...

...I have to be accountable for other peoples children.

Seth had to set up the tent and sleep in it over night. It was something that he needed to do to pass off a scout requirement. we haven't had a sleepover with friends in a long time. occasionally he sleeps over at their house (when he has driven me so crazy that I let him, mainly to keep my sanity), but we usually have a no sleepover rule. Summer is coming to an end and I figured they were going to be outside which meant every little sound they made wasn't going to wake Nate up... Oh yeah...and Seth didn't really ask he just did his normal tell me what his plans were and how he has already invited everyone and they will be here at this time thing. so at 9:25 PM his two bf's showed up ready to have fun. they spent the next couple of hours trying to scare the wits out of each other (which i didn't think was a very good idea, but they never listen to me). I, in the mean time, went to bed. I wasn't in the mood to stay up until they decided to go to bed. I got them in the tent and told them to stay there and then went to sleep in my nice comfy bed.

at 1:15 in the morning i hear the alarm chime go of signaling that a door has been open. then it goes off again a few minutes later. I figured it was a kid going to the bathroom, but decided to check on them anyway. nobody was inside so i went outside to see who was traveling around the house. when i got in the tent i realized all the boys were out cold, except one of them who wasn't anywhere to be found. I tried to wake up the other kids to see if they knew where he was. The only kid i could get a response from was Seth who said something about his friend calling his dad and maybe he went home or something. he didn't seem to concerned, but at the same time he was hardly able to speak. i figured he was probably right, but at the same time he said he didn't see him leave and he wasn't sure if he went home. I wasn't going to be able to sleep if i didn't know for sure.
I don't want to wake up everyone in his house by calling... so... me in my PJ's gets in my car and drives over to his house. it is now about 1:45 AM. I can see their TV on in the living room so i get up enough courage to knock lightly on the door. his dad comes to the door (not in his Pj's) and i ask him if his son went home. sure enough the child got sick in the night (or scarred out of his wits, but he won't admit to that) and had his dad come pick him up. He had told Seth, but Seth was to wishy washy when i had questioned him and he didn't remember.

When i got back home i though i would be able to go back to sleep, but i guess driving around in the middle of the night, with the fear that i lost someones child, woke up my mind. It took me another hour before i fell back asleep. luckily there wasn't anything i had to get up for sat morning and i slept in.... My dh slept through the whole thing. What a fun night. It is going to be a while before someone can talk me into another sleepover!

2 comments:

{krista} said...

Um... you are supposed to ever LIKE sleepovers? We've done it once... and it wasn't even bad... but never again! Not for me!

Shayla said...

Thank you for one more reason I will enforce a complete 100% ban on them!

I also vividly remember my sister's bf barfing all over our house(HELLO! Find a toilet, a bowl or a planter!!!) while *I* was babysitting them (my parents went to a late night movie) as a teenager. YUCK.