Thursday, January 3, 2008

How sick is too sick for school?

Today I get to be a "real" SAHM. I have a real boy with only two feet and who can speak English staying with me. He is visiting a little longer than his usual Thursday. Unfortunately he is coughing all over my stuff and little white tissues have overtaken his floor in his bedroom. It looks like it has snowed up there. I hope he doesn't think I am shoveling it because I would prefer just to put a condemned sign on the door.

Little Sethie and the cold bug don't go very well together. The second his nose starts running he grabs a whole big tissue box (lotion of course) to carry around with him. He goes through 1 to 2 tissues about ever four minutes. Unfortunately as hard as I've tried I just can't get him to blow his nose. He prefers to massacre it. Rub, rub, rub. Rub, rub, rub. Soon it is shining brighter than Rudolph's nose. He even let me take a picture to post... though I didn't tell him that is what it was for. lol. That is the purty picture up top.

I am just waiting for the letter from school that says he has missed over the amount allowed by the school district. I am sure he is getting up there by now. It didn't help that he broke his arm a couple of months ago and had to miss a couple of days for that... and then he got appendicitis and had to miss a whole week for that. And this is like his fourth cold since school started.

Which brings me to the question... How sick is too sick for school? I mean, am I suppose to send him looking like a red nose freak and coughing all over everyone (because I haven't been able to get him to cover his mouth either). I would think the majority would say "Please Don't!". But then he is going to miss school and I am going to get that note that tells me that I am basically a horrible parent that isn't putting enough emphasis on education in my child's life because I let him stay home when he was sick instead of sending him to get everyone else sick. At least that is how I look at it when that note arrives. I mean I have one child who misses like two days of school a year and then one that maybe miss 4-5 and then I have two that seem to always be sick and they just switch off who gets to visit me on which day. But then I still feel like there are days they should be home, but I send them to school anyway because they have already missed so much and you know how long runny noses can last for. Like a bigillion years. So when is it OK for them to go back to school? They really can't miss two weeks for a minor cold! I don't know. I put way to much thought into this. I just don't know what's the right thing to do. Maybe there isn't a right and wrong.

Well there is my completely boring blog for the day. Today is laundry day so I am off to fold clothes. Laundry is my favorite thing to do.... NOT. That is a post all of it's own. I'm off to my pretty darn good life! Enjoy yours!

No comments: