Thursday, January 3, 2008

Flash From the Past: What I meant when I say my words come back to haunt me

I am going to give you a little example of the type of man I live with. I love him to death, but he does do some pretty stupid things every once in a while (though I will say that a majority of men think he was in the right doing what he did and said they would have done the same thing... which leads me to believe that men are sorta stupid).
Now I'll ease you into my little story with a brief into into what life was like back when this happened. Both my husband and I were 21 years old. We had just earlier that morning had our fourth child. After living with one working car for the last five years we had recently acquired, for a very small amount, a old piece of crap Hyundai. It ran just fine (after we replaced the clutch). It didn't have air conditioning, but it was winter time so really it wasn't necessary at the time. If you didn't make sure the seat belt went all the way in the door it would sometimes not let the door shut which would make the battery dead, but that could be avoided if paying attention. Yeah it was a piece of crap... but it made it so I had a car AND he had a car. And we were young and most of our paycheck was paying for our home and the one car we owed money on and the rest disappeared so it was obviously being spent on something.
Well once he got a taste of having his own car and not having to haul me every where I needed to go he immediately started talking about getting a "new" car... but money was tight and we had a baby on the way with three other little ones to feed as well. I told him that I didn't even want to think about it until after the baby was born and he was just going to live with it until then. It came up often in our conversations and I would just repeat "not till the baby is born".
Dh likes to take my words literally, but only if it benefits him. So I go through the six hours of labor and delivery. It wasn't all to bad because I had an epidural after four attempts by the anesthesiologist. We get wheeled back to a recovery room with the little baby and dh says he is going to go check on the other kids and get some rest and he'll be back. I also take a rest with the new little one (as much of a rest as they'll let you have in the hospital).
Dh come back a few hours later. He comes in just as happy as can be. Asks what I would think if he had just got himself a new car. I told him he'd really better hope he didn't because I thought that would be one of the stupid choices he had ever made! Then he said the words that will haunt me every time I open my mouth to speak to him again. He had the nerve to say, "but you said I could have a new car once you had the baby."
The moron, and yes I really do have to call him this, had gone out to the car to head home to check on the kids, but his car battery had gone dead. Yes, he had forgotten to double check the door when we had gone into the hospital that morning (which is understandable since he was trying to help his very pregnant wife in to have their baby). Well once he realized it was dead he remembered that I had said that once we had the baby he could have a new car. In his mind having a baby and getting a new car on the same day was like Heaven on Earth. A double whammy. (He seemed to forget the last big purchase he had made when I was in a hospital bed and the problems it has caused). He gets his car jumped, drives to a Honda Dealer and purchases a brand spanking new car (of course he had been doing his research for months now and knew he wanted a Honda Accord EX or something like that). Trades in his piece of junk car and his other piece of junk large passenger van that he had collected from his parents that didn't even run, but was just a mega large van in my driveway (driveway decor, haven't you heard of it?)....he just figured if he still had that when the deal was done he'd really be in trouble since I complained about the rust, and whatever all the crap that was leaking from it was, ruining my driveway. Then he returns without even going to check on the kids (don't worry they were with my mommy and she is good at taking care of them) to tell me he made his purchase.
In some ways I think he was hoping for me to jump up and down with joy (which wasn't even possible for me at that time) and give him a big pat on the back and say how proud I was of him for going and spending 26,000 smack a roo's, on a car that we couldn't really afford... while I sat in the hospital having after pains. I think I said something like this to him....His response.. "Don't worry I am leasing it for a lot cheaper than you can buy it for". Is that really suppose to make me feel better? You know how they say never tell the salesman what you can afford because they take you into a back room and put that into a computer and the next thing you know you have your car for the payment you can afford... but your paying twice as much for the car in the long run. That was my dh! Sometimes I wonder how he can be so smart and so stupid at the same time. It really is a mystery to me. To bad you can't really just "take back" cars.
Have you ever been so smitten mad that you feel like you could just beat someone to death? Me neither... but I think I was getting close on that day. And I have made sure that I watch what I say... though since then he has somehow talked me into letting him have a boat and a travel trailer (twice since he smashed his first one to pieces) and a house with a big garage to hold his boat and his travel trailer. And just a couple of months ago he talked me into letting him get a new car (an Acura TL). Sometimes he even convinces me to sign the papers. I just don't know what is wrong with me.
I got a pretty darn good life

No comments: