Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Brain is FRIED and a Flash From the Past: A tribute to my Sethie who turned 11 this week

Like seriously!... I am pretty sure I can hear it sizzling in my ears. Ugh... I just took my lab midterm. I am trying not to think about it because every time I do I think of all the stupid mistakes I possibly made on it. I am glad it is over, but I almost wish I could do it over again. School is not on my good side right now! I just hope and pray I got a passing grade on it. Now on to the nervous system. Can you hear the excitement in my voice? No? That is cause there isn't any!

This week was Sethie's B-day. I thought it would be fun to write out a little "journal of memories" post for him. I started it a while back, but life seems to run faster than me and so I am only finally getting around to the middle of it. Hopefully, I can do it in two parts.


THE STORY OF SETHIE B

My little Sethie came to us un-bright but quite early on a cold morning in March. He has never had much patience, which he gave us early warning of when he showed up five weeks early. He was born weighing a whopping 5 pounds and 9 ounces (he was my smallest baby). There was a little concern about whether he would need more help breathing, but after a little bit of help in the beginning he quickly picked it up and has been doing it on his own ever since.
He was able to come home from the hospital a couple of days later, but not without a big metal box containing bilirubin lights that he was required to stay under 22 hours out of the day. James wanted to know why our new baby had cotton ball eyes, which were required to stay on Seth's eyes while he was under the lights (no wonder why he doesn't want anything touching his face these days). After five days he got to give up the cotton balls and the big metal box. He struggled with jaundice and weight loss for the first week and a half, but overcame the problem and started gaining weight and growing taller (which hasn't stopped since).

He was a mellow baby and didn't whine much. James was his best big brother "ever" from day one and use to get him out of his swing and bring him to me. James was only 18 months at the time and usually carried Seth around by the head (just giving him a taste of things to come) They slept in the same bed (which if I recall was actually my bed and seemed quite full at the time) and James would hold Seth's little had to fall asleep each night.

By the time Seth was a few months old he has already decided a couple of things. He didn't like being wrapped in blankets, he didn't like wearing socks, and he didn't really like James touching him. His favorite thing was his "bink" and his second favorite thing was his swing.
Around this time he started having some breathing problems. He would starts rasping and then he would turn blue. I use to sit in the bathroom with a hot shower trying to mist up the place (which probably only made it worse). We assume it was croup, but he was never diagnosed at the time because every time we rushed him to the Instacare, by the time we got there he was breathing much better and had color back in his face. I only mention it because it use to scare the wits out of me every time it happened.
By the time he was one he would scream if it even looked like I was going to attempt to put his shoes on him. He had learned how to remove his diaper and had decided he didn't like wearing it much. Unfortunately, he didn't really like the potty chair much either. He would only wear sweat pants and baggy shirts. Anything that was too tight he would just scream until he got it off. He did however love to draw and my walls and floors and table had become proof of that. If I had a pen in my had he was there trying to grab it from me and "color". I use to joke with the child that it was suppose to be about "QUALITY... not QUANTITY" because he had made sure that no wall was left unmarked by his talent. From the second of his mobility he was quite the busy body. He loved balls and he loved the Barney "egg" Movie and he had a ball that he named "Egg" and he slept with it, and bathed with it, (and of course) wrote on it, and carried it with him everywhere.
He was quite the little binky addict and his grandparents use to whine that they didn't know what the child really looked like and without the big plastic knob in the middle of his face they might not be able to recognize him. He was quite a little talent with the binky and he could roll it around in his mouth with his tongue and do a few cool tricks. We weaned him off of it at about 14 months old (or at least we had thought we had).
When he was 16 months old he got the best present ever. A little sister to hang out with. At first he wanted nothing to do with her, but then he found her to be a good for a couple of things. First she was a great drawing board. I found her covered in marker and pen quite a few times. The second thing she was good for was that little piece of rubber mommy and daddy would put in her mouths. He hadn't forgotten that he had had one of those once upon a time and he had really liked it. It wasn't long before I would find Seth hiding in corners with little pink binky's in his mouth. A few times I would hear the baby crying and go to check on her and Seth would be standing over her sucking on her binky. He just wanted to "try it" was his excuse at first. Then the binks started disappearing and we foolishly bought more. Emmy decided after having it ripped out of her mouth a few hundred times that is wasn't worth having one and gave up the habit of binky sucking and just glued herself to the boob. Seth on the other hand surfaced with an array of pink binkies and claimed them all to be his since his baby sister no longer seemed to need them. It wasn't long before he was a full on binky addict once more... and I, as a struggling mom of three, unfortunately took the easy route and just let him have his comfort item.

Now for all you parents who read this and let your child have a blanky till they are 40 I really don't see how this is much different. If you let them have a comfort item to long they become dependant on it. He was a little binky addict and to finally break the habit we had to get the binkie fairy to come and haul off with all the binkies. In return the fairy left a pretty cool megazord for the child, who was happy about that until nap time came around. Then he wanted the fairy to bring his binkies back. It was a long process, but we finally got him to kick the binky habit, though I joke that I wouldn't be surprised to walk into his room one day and see him sucking on one.

It wasn't long before Seth realized that Emmy was a great little accomplice in his "crimes". James always listened better and didn't get into much mischief, he was obnoxious, but obedient (he was also some what of a tattle tail)... but the Seth-Emmy combo, well they had FUN together at the expense of ME. I could go on for days at the things those two would do together. Even before Emmy was mobile she seemed to get dragged into Seth's adventures. I describe their adventures as daily "disasters" in my journals of the time. He would soak her with cups of water. He would rub food all over her head. He would cut her hair. She of course was innocent during the early disasters, but I guess growing up with them she soon found she enjoyed them and I would find them with bowls of mud making mud pies in the bedroom. He taught her how to draw, on my walls of course. They would brake my things, cut up important papers, rip up books. There was never a meal that wasn't smeared from one side of the table to the other. It would be a good five years before I would be able to sleep in without the worry that those two would get up before me. We knew if that happened the rest of my day would be ruined.
During this time Ashlee came to our family. She became the new drawing board. She also became the third musketeer in the adventures. And as the story goes... They grew, they grew and, they grew...

1 comment:

{krista} said...

Ha ha, happy birthday Seth!